Thursday, June 20, 2013

Review: The Book of Broken Hearts by Sarah Ockler

Title: The Book of Broken Hearts
Author: Sarah Ockler
Publication Date: May 21, 2013

Jude has learned a lot from her older sisters, but the most important thing is this: The Vargas brothers are notorious heartbreakers. She’s seen the tears and disasters that dating a Vargas boy can cause, and she swore an oath—with candles and a contract and everything—to never have anything to do with one.

Now Jude is the only sister still living at home, and she’s spending the summer helping her ailing father restore his vintage motorcycle—which means hiring a mechanic to help out. Is it Jude’s fault he happens to be cute? And surprisingly sweet? And a Vargas?

Jude tells herself it’s strictly bike business with Emilio. Her sisters will never find out, and Jude can spot those flirty little Vargas tricks a mile away—no way would she fall for them. But Jude’s defenses are crumbling, and if history is destined to repeat itself, she’s speeding toward some serious heartbreak…unless her sisters were wrong?

Jude may have taken an oath, but she’s beginning to think that when it comes to love, some promises might be worth breaking.
 




***



My Thoughts




*Slight Spoilers*


This was a nice, cute, solid story. Totally got blindsided by the Alzheimer's, a warning would have been nice. Then again I probably wouldn't have picked it up if that had been the case and this was definitely worth a read.

I had been looking for a light fluffy read and while this did deliver for the most part, it had it's certain baggage as well. When the blurb mentioned Jude's ailing father I hadn't known that it was about Alzheimer's. Me and the German (as my family has come to know it) have an intimate relationship,  unfortunately. I have lost a great-grandma (Yes, I actually do remember my great-grandma, not great memories though), a grandma, and soon to be another grandma to The German. Wouldn't be surprised if one of my aunts (there's 4 total including my mom) end up with the disease as well and eventually one of us. 

Probably wondering why the detail about the 4 aunts specifically. Jude has 3 sisters as well, so you get where I'm going with this. The similarities abound. I understood what they had to go through and how much it sucks to not only realize that they are starting to lose it but that they won't even remember you, and not just that. They become aggressive as well, it's not pretty. Ockler did get one thing wrong, and that's the advise that the doctors give you with how to treat them. The first thing they tell you is you have to just go along with whatever they say, can't start arguing with them and trying to prove them wrong. The girls only realized this all the way towards the end of the book, and that just wasn't right.

Another thing I wasn't too keen on was the way the family kept trying to keep it all within the family. It's just not going to work. It's better for everyone else to know in case something happens and they can deal with it a bit easier or be somewhat prepared. And this part in particular really ticked me off at times, it was so silly. Endangering his life just to keep their pride or whatever? Don't think so.

Now that I have written, like an essay on Alzheimer's let's get to the fluffy part of the book xD I liked Jude for the most part, she was a pushover for too long, but that was the point. This was her journey to finding herself and getting her spirit and living HER life, not whatever everyone else dictated her. I would have snapped a long time ago with how her sister's were, but that's just me :P I loved Emilio, he was always there for her, nudged her the right away and supported her through having to deal with her father having Alzheimer's. They had some great moments and I really loved how Jude narrated her life. She had just the right amount of depth, childishness, naivete, humor.


"The heart-in all its infinite wisdom (with some backdoor bribery from the hormones)-was totally edging in on this Vargas boy situation, and the heart didn't know the meaning of terminado."


My favorite character has to be Pancake though. This was one awesome dog. Totally helped Jude deal with her issues too.


"Even Pancake lifted his head at that one, like, Jude, can't you keep your crazy shit together for five minutes? You have the attention span of a-look! Ohmigod! BUNNIES!"


All in all this was a nice coming-of-age read, great cast of characters with a believable romance and a good dose of humor.


Would I Recommend it?



1 comment:

  1. This is the second great review I've read about this book and I'm dying to read it!

    ReplyDelete

^ Scroll to Top