Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Building Castles In The Sky: Discussion Posts


Today's Castle: Discussion Posts!



Let me start of by saying I suck at discussion posts. I can come up with some good topics, usually while I'm trying to fall asleep. I'll basically redact the whole thing in my head but by the time I wake up I just don't feel like writing it all down...Hence why I basically never do discussion posts. I tried a while back with one about romance on books and how every single book doesn't need a romance. And I wrote the first post! Which is was awesome. But I was supposed to write a second one, and well....I didn't. OOPS. I kept meaning to and I just never got the motivation to sit down and actually write it.

But enough about how much I suck at these things! What I want to talk about is the whole discussion part of discussion posts. I like bouncing of ideas with people. I like actually thoroughly discussing things with people. I may suck at normal everyday conversation and be horribly awkward about it but give me a nice discussion topic and I can talk for hours. 

What I have been noticing about these posts is that there aren't actual discussions going on. There is the main post, then people start commenting, but it's all very individual. It's always just the author of the post responding to one comment at a time. I have yet to see a reader reply to another. And most of the comments are just statements of their point of view, which yeah it's kinda the point, but well we are trying to discuss stuff here people! Give me something to work with!

Sometimes it's the same sentiment written over and over again in different ways, which granted that's fine cause people have similar tastes in things and whatnot, but they don't discuss these tastes. They are stated and left out in the ether to never be seen again.

I guess what I'm saying is I'd like some actual discussions to happen instead of these exclusive author to reader, one on one, responses, that don't even go past the first response anyway. I understand people sometimes don't have the time to be responding to comments. Maybe instead we need to revamp the whole idea?

I was thinking of maybe making either a whole day or whole week of a certain topic to discuss in twitter, for example. Make up a hashtag, write up your post, make the twitter widget, upload it to your post and get the ball rolling. Maybe even get a few bloggers together writing on the same topic to have a wider reader base.

What do you guys think? Would this be feasible? Would you even like it if it was in this format? Do you even agree that it could use a revamp or am I just talking out of my ass? xD

Btw - I'm just assuming that's how the twitter thing works, so anyone who is more twitter savvy feel free to correct me if I'm wrong :)


No comments:

Post a Comment

^ Scroll to Top