Saturday, June 22, 2013

Review: Blood Roses by Lindsay J. Pryor

Blood Roses Lindsay J. Pryor
Title: Blood Roses
Series: Blackthorn Book Two
Publication Date: April 26, 2013

“She was supposed to kill vampires, not save them. Those were the rules. That was the lore.” 

A rare and powerful witch whose blood is lethal to vampires, Leila has always viewed her serryn abilities as a curse. After seeing her mother slaughtered as a child, Leila longs for a safe, quiet life.

That wish is shattered by Caleb Dehain – a vampire with a dark past and a darker heart. The most feared serryn hunter of his generation, Caleb now needs the help of one of the witches he despises to save his dying brother.

A serryn who has no reason to help him. Except that he has her sister.

Caleb and Leila are each other’s worst nightmare – but the slow-burning spark of attraction between them is undeniable. Will Leila’s blood be his damnation? Or could her kiss be his salvation?
 




***



My Thoughts



Well this was a disappointment for me...

I loved the first one. Sure it had it's fault, but in the end I thought that the plot had been really well done, and the rest of the series would follow through. Unfortunately this was not the case.

While the plot was interesting since it did add to what had happened in the first one, it felt very tedious. Actually what felt tedious where the characters. Specifically Caleb and Leila. I couldn't connect to either. I was feeling more for her sisters and Caleb's brother Jake than I did to either of them. Actually I even connected to Feinith more than I did them. And I didn't even like her, but at least I felt something!

Caleb and Leila were both so into not letting the other one best them that it all came out too contrived and cold, to the point where it affected my reading experience. The romance? Didn't like it. I could never figure out if it was go ahead from Leila or not which was weird. Their declarations of love? It was pretty much ripped out of them by threat of death. From each other....I just couldn't get into it.

I'll pick up the next one because I am hoping that it will go back to how good the first book was. If it turns out like this one again I might just give up on them. I really hope it doesn't turn out like that.


Would I Recommend it?



***

Other books in the series:
  1. Blood Shadows (November 27, 2012)
  2. Blood Roses
  3. Blood Torn (Coming Autumn 2013)

No comments:

Post a Comment

^ Scroll to Top