Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Review: Dominion by Melody Manful

Title: Dominion
Series: Guardian Angels
Author: Melody Manful
Publication Date: February 16, 2013
Rating: 3 Stars
Amazon - Goodreads - Shelfari

Book Blurb


I Dare You.
Look Over Your Shoulders.
Do You See Them?
They are behind you...
They are always behind you.

Abigail Cells had a nightmare the day before she met Gideon, the new guy in school who has every girl drooling just to be near him. In her nightmare, she was murdered by a magical creature. As she gets to know Gideon, she begins to remember pieces of her nightmare, and was shocked when Gideon turned out to be the creature from her nightmare. Who is Gideon really? Should Abby allow herself to fall completely for him, or is he the next disaster waiting to happen?

My Thoughts


I don't know what to rate this. It had so many ups and downs and it's hard to pin it down with just 1 rating.

We have Abigail who is actually pretty awesome what with her CIA training and what not. She can totally kick ass, when she is not freaking out and in shock...Seriously. She spent most of her time either screaming cause she was freaking out or still as a mummy cause she was in shock. Where did her uber training go? Right out the window that's where. But there are times in which she actually does use it and she becomes this sociopath basically. So with her she is either an Angel or an Angel if you get my drift (people who have read this already).

Which brings me to my next point. The plot. I didn't get it. They explained how the guardian angels work in this world, and I must admit that it was pretty fascinating if that where true. My problem is that the whole bloody book is just a romance book. There is absolutely no plot whatsoever beside the romance till like the last 2 or 3 chapters. Which isn't saying much cause Manful cuts the plot in half by abruptly ending the book. One second am reading about a war the next I'm reading the Acknowledgements. Which btw, the first couple of sentences read like the book, so I didn't even notice till I realized it didn't make much sense to what was going on before. So yeah CLIFFHANGER ALERT.

Since this whole book pretty much deals about the romance, let's talk about that. I didn't really get it either. She falls in love with Gideon who is the psychopath of Angels and she tries to change him. Now I'm usually not about the falling in love so you can change a person, but in this case he actually does want to change for her. He is trying at least, but man she is tough! All the kid has ever known is killing since he was 5. Give the guy a break. I was OK with the romance between Abigail and Gideon cause he was actually really sweet and romantic and innocent with her. My problem was the damn triangle. I thought Abigail had it figured out that Tristan was in the friend zone, but apparently that wasn't the case. Needless to say, I was not happy. But at least this didn't come in till a good 3/4th of the book.

After getting that all out there, it kind of sounds like a rant. I didn't mean to, but it was hard not to when all the good in this book came with it's just as big bad. Which is why I'm still giving this 3 stars, at the end I was still flipping pages (or touching my screen) to find out what happened. Unfortunately I don't think I'll be bother to find out what does happen in the next books, even with that cliffhanger. I abhor love triangles and just can't stomach them, but if you don't have a problem with that then definitely give it a try, it's a very unique take in guardian angels.

No comments:

Post a Comment

^ Scroll to Top