Saturday, March 16, 2013

Review: The Genesis by K.L. Kerr

Title: The Genesis
Series: Blood of Ages
Author: K.L. Kerr
Publication Date: September 10, 2012
Rating: 2.5 Stars
Amazon - Goodreads - Shelfari

Book Blurb

The vampires of Dayson city are preparing for war. Having lived in constant fear of the Archway Corporation for decades, desperation has forced them into action. Their solution is to bring the First vampire, Alistair, back from the dead, a warrior famed for eradicating entire armies in the name of his kind.

For fledgling vampire Catrina Malinka, the fabled return of some unknown deity falls low on her list of concerns. Between fending off strangers trying to kill her in her dreams and trying to rein in an uncontrollable power that no one else even understands let alone shares, Catrina is forced to fight her assumed role in the war against Archway, which threatens to send her down a path she doesn't want to travel.

The first book in The Blood of Ages series, "The Genesis" is an urban fantasy about the inescapable nature of Fate and the corruption of power.

My Thoughts


This book was just good enough to keep my attention and keep me reading the whole way. The action was excellent, but somehow not enough. I felt like the book was wayyy too long. It took me forever to finish it for some reason and I even skipped a few pages towards the end just so I could get to the good part.

There were a few things I didn't quite agree with. Starting with the length of the book. Half of the book was Catrina getting adjusted to life as a vampire and learning all the little pros and cons. While it was interesting seeing how everything worked, it felt like it took the focus out of the book. There was no further plot advancement for half the book besides Catrina turning into a vamp and learning who their enemies were. Which takes me to my next problem. 

The whole deal with Nathaniel and the corporation was, in my opinion not done right, in terms of the vamps. I just find it really hard to believe that a bunch of vamps were too peaceful to deal with their enemies. That they would just lay down and take it like that. I'm willing to go along with the whole them not being warriors, but dude, they have people gunning for them, wouldn't you at least prepare yourself? Make them train so they could take them out if the need arose. Which it did, multiple times, but what did they do? Panic and run around screaming...really? Vampires? Just no.

Only thing that kept me reading was the action scenes and how for once the MC had absolutely no qualms about killing people, liking it and hoping to kill more. I found it refreshing. Sure she finally felt bad towards the end about the whole massacre but she wasn't whiny about it while it was going on, which was so nice.

And it really was all her fault. I believe quite a few things could have been avoided, if not at least much better prepared for if she had just talked to Fox and Jacob, but alas, she just had to keep it alll to herself.

Another thing I did like was how there was like no romance here. It was all about the plot. A plot with holes sure, but still plot focused and not suddenly all about the romance. Also that ending really was something. All the fighting and then that last twist was great. I loved it.

Quite a few things a liked but a little too many issues to really make it to 3 stars for me.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Ornella,

    Thank you so much for your review. I'm sorry parts of the story fell flat for you, but I'm glad you at least liked some of it =)

    All the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem, I'll make sure to get them out on Amazon and B&N as well. You write awesome action scenes :)

      Delete
  2. fatty liver alternative remedies fatty liver alternative remedies fatty liver alternative remedies

    my weblog treatment for alcoholic fatty liver

    ReplyDelete

^ Scroll to Top