Sunday, December 23, 2012

[ARC] Peregrine Harker & The Black Death by Luke Hollands

Title: Peregrine Harker & The Black Death
Author: Luke Hollands
Publication Date: June 3, 2012
Rating: 2.5 Stars
Amazon - Goodreads - Shelfari


Book Blurb


MURDER SPIES EXPLOSIONS REVENGE


Peregrine Harker is about to learn you're never too young to die.

London 1908: A secret society stalks the murky streets, a deadly assassin lurks in the shadows and a series of unexplained deaths are linked by a mystery symbol…

When boy-detective Peregrine Harker stumbles across a gruesome murder he sparks a chain of events that drag him on a rip-roaring journey through a world of spluttering gas lamps, thick fog, deadly secrets and dastardly villains.

Every step of Peregrine’s white-knuckle adventure brings him closer to the vile heart of a terrifying mystery – the true story behind the Brotherhood of the Black Death.

My Thoughts



This book started out as a lot of fun. It was silly, and I was enjoying it, till I wasn't. I guess it just got to be too much. The way Harker spoke got to me after some time. It was much too mature and yet he was so naive at the same time. My biggest problem is actually that Harker didn't actually do much of anything, and he always needed rescuing. The kid got beat up multiple times, and was saved multiple times. Yet they kept mentioning how he was such a good shot, and had fencing lessons and all this fancy stuff, but I barely saw him actually practicing it, or at least not as much as he could have. There were some scenes were he used his skills but there were too many in which he didn't.

He was also strung along for like the whole book quite literally till the end, and he never once suspected any of it, he is a journalist for god's sake he should have been more suspicious, which brings me to another point. Every time there were suspicious sounds and events going on, he rationalized them and dismissed them. He is investigating, shouldn't be dismissing anything D:

I liked the ending it explained a couple of things that were previously quite unbelievable. It was this huge messy showdown, fun stuff. This book reminded me a lot of the second Sherlock Holmes movie in the way it was narrated. Overall I liked certain parts and aspects of this book, but in the end it was just okay for me. If you are looking for a silly mystery, then I recommend this one.


*Thank you to NetGalley and Sparkling Books for a copy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

^ Scroll to Top