Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Unraveling: Fighting Destiny by Amelia Hutchins

Fighting Destiny Amelia Hutchins
Title: Fighting Destiny
Series: The Fae Chronicles One
Publication Date: June 2, 2013

Have you ever heard of the old Celtic legends of the Fae - beautiful, magical, and deadly creatures that have a love of messing with humans just for kicks and giggles?

Welcome to my world.

What started out as a strange assignment, lead to one of the most gruesome murder mysteries of our times. My friends and I are set and determined to find out who is killing off Fae and Witches alike.

Couple of problems in the way – I hate the Fae and the Prince of the Dark Fae is bound and determined that I work for him. He’s a rude, overbearing egotistical ass with a compulsive need to possess, dominate and control me. Oh – did I mention that he is absolutely sex-on-a-stick gorgeous and he makes me feel things that I never ever wanted to feel for a Fae...every time he touches me or looks at me with those dangerous golden eyes he seems to pull me further in under his spell, despite my better judgment.

My friends and I can’t trust anyone and nothing is as it seems on the surface – not even me.
  photo KoboIcon_zps515cdc1a.jpg




***




My Thoughts



I'm sure most of you noticed from the cover this book is an Adult one, not YA this time. So just a fair warning. It's dark, it's gritty, and it's sexy.

The best way I can describe this book is by making a comparison to KMM series, Fever. This book is about Fae, and not the pretty, glittery ones that just like to twist your words around. Oh no, these Fae, are big, bad but still quite hot xD They are by no means the same, but they do have that same sense of dark atmosphere to them. One that I hadn't come across again since then, specially not in regards to Fae.

The world that Hutchins has built here is quite complex. It has all the different Fae creatures, the politics, and beliefs, and an intricate magical world. While the main focus is obviously the Fae, we also have on the other side the witches and warlocks. With their own kind of magic. We also have the vamps and their own politics. All to make one hell of an intricate world.

But the world building wasn't the only great aspect of this book, no, it was the characters as well. We have Syn, our MC, Adam, the best friend, and Ryder. All the characters are very well fleshed out. Syn is of course the best at what she does and has some serious hidden magical powers that we are just learning about now. Then there is the mysterious Ryder, who kinda reminds me of a shapeshifter what with his really weird PoV, but I appreciated it. It gave him more depth as a character. Then there is Adam, who is the best friend, but so much more than that as well.

There is also a pretty great plot that ties all this together quite nicely. It is one hell of a murder mystery, and this is were Syn shines even more. She isn't just a smart when she wants to be kind of gall. She knows her shit, and watching her work around a crime scene and gruesome murders was a joy. That might be a bit morbid, but there aren't enough well written investigator types to appease me. They always seem to miss the most stupidest things. I won't say much more about the plot, don't want to inadvertently spoil it for anyone.

Between the intricate world-building and the great characters, and the awesome plot, this is a book that you won't want to miss.

So...

Would I Recommend it?





***


Other books in the Fae Chronicles Series:

  1. Fighting Destiny
  2. Taunting Destiny

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    ^ Scroll to Top