Saturday, August 3, 2013

Unraveling: Magic Rises by Ilona Andrews

Magic Rises Kate Daniels #6 Ilona Andrews
Title: Magic Rises
Series: Kate Daniels Book Six
Author: Ilona Andrews
Publication Date: July 30, 2013

Atlanta is a city plagued by magical problems. Kate Daniels will fight to solve them—no matter the cost.

Mercenary Kate Daniels and her mate, Curran, the Beast Lord, are struggling to solve a heartbreaking crisis. Unable to control their beasts, many of the Pack’s shapeshifting children fail to survive to adulthood. While there is a medicine that can help, the secret to its making is closely guarded by the European packs, and there’s little available in Atlanta.

Kate can’t bear to watch innocents suffer, but the solution she and Curran have found threatens to be even more painful. The European shapeshifters who once outmaneuvered the Beast Lord have asked him to arbitrate a dispute—and they’ll pay him in medicine. With the young people’s survival and the Pack’s future at stake, Kate and Curran know they must accept the offer—but they have little doubt that they’re heading straight into a trap…
  photo B1426D4C-9EEC-4C0B-A1FB-90524B03C0CA-1855-000001A1E82B3B3E_zps17d98f4d.jpg  photo KoboIcon_zps515cdc1a.jpg




***




My Thoughts



Kate Daniels and I had a rocky start. I didn't think the first book was that great, nor did it deserve the hype it had gotten, but my friends insisted that they all got progressively better. So I finally relented and read book two. It was a definite improvement. By the 3rd one I in love with Kate, Curran and their world. This book was no exception. I loved it!

This book had a bit of everything. Action, romance, sexy scenes, backstabbing, mysteries, politics, humor and death. Yes I said death. So be prepared! The whole book was some very intricate maneuvering to get to Kate, with of course some added bonus of the subplot having new magical creatures. I like how Andrews managed both plot threads at the same time. They were both separate but together and they meshed very nicely. We also have the addition of the new people to Kate's 'team' in a way, and they were all connected with each other.

What I truly love about these books are the characters. Specifically Kate and Derek. Yeah I said Derek and not Curran, sue me! xD I love that Kate is smart and doesn't just suddenly have amnesia when her brain power is needed to solve the problems like in so many books. Not only is she smart, but she is mouthy. Love all her comebacks xD She is badass and she compassionate, and she'll do what has to be done to make her people safe. Even when she was having issues with Curran, she would never have turned her back on the shapeshifters. They were hers now and she going to do her damnest to keep them safe. Then there is Derek. He has become Kate's backup and right hand man. He is loyal to her, and even after all the crap he went through he still manages to keep it together and still be one hell of a back up. I would love if Andrews wrote a novella or a whole book with Derek being the MC, like they did with Andrea. 

I can't really go anymore in depth about the plot than I already did without spoiling something, and I really don't want to do that. It would just ruin the whole thing and that's just no fun xD I had been in a bit of a book slump when I picked this one up, but it managed not only to keep my interest to get me out of the slump, that's how awesome it is xD

So...

Would I Recommend it?





***


Other books in the Kate Daniels Series:

  1. Magic Bites
  2. Magic Burns
  3. Magic Strikes
  4. Magic Bleeds
  5. Magic Slays
  6. Magic Rises
  7. Magic Breaks
  8. Untitled
  9. Untitled
  10. Untitled

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    ^ Scroll to Top