Thursday, August 29, 2013

Unraveling: Untold by Sarah Rees Brennan

Untold Sarah Rees Brennan
Title: Untold
Series: The Lynburn Legacy Book Two
Publication Date: August 29, 2013

Free from bonds, but not each other

It’s time to choose sides… On the surface, Sorry-in-the-Vale is a sleepy English town. But Kami Glass knows the truth. Sorry-in-the-Vale is full of magic. In the old days, the Lynburn family ruled with fear, terrifying the people into submission in order to kill for blood and power. Now the Lynburns are back, and Rob Lynburn is gathering sorcerers so that the town can return to the old ways.

But Rob and his followers aren’t the only sorcerers in town. A decision must be made: pay the blood sacrifice, or fight. For Kami, this means more than just choosing between good and evil. With her link to Jared Lynburn severed, she’s now free to love anyone she chooses. But who should that be?
  photo B1426D4C-9EEC-4C0B-A1FB-90524B03C0CA-1855-000001A1E82B3B3E_zps17d98f4d.jpg  photo KoboIcon_zps515cdc1a.jpg




***



My Thoughts



I loved the first book even with the killer cliffhanger that it had. Thankfully this one doesn't end in such a fashion. Actually it ends in a very depressing tone.

That's a lie the whole book has a depressing tone. Something horrible is happening to EVERYONE in this book. It was overwhelming. They were being mean to each other, and all their families were having issues, and it was all just too depressing. With that said, even with everything bad going on around Kami she was still strong, and was holding on quite well. She is a strong and resilient girl. She is also a very stupid one.

She has the quick thinking and spunky attitude, and I actually do love her humor and how loyal she is to the ones she loves. My problem is she seems to be making just one dumb decision after the other, specially concerning Jared. For having been in his head during her whole life it's as if she suddenly doesn't know the guy anymore, like he is a different species or something. She is so freaking oblivious to what is going to with him is exasperating. I'm not going to mention Holly at all except to say that she just beyond pissed me off during the whole damn book and I had been kinda hoping she would die in the big fight, sadly that didn't happen.

Not to mention, Kami's super sleuth skills which aren't very sleuthing at all. For all her nosing around and coming up with plans she seems to be lacking in one very important point. Once she starts reading about Matthew's statue and their story with the Lynburns, her spidey senses start tingling. Good, cause mine were too and she does find out some info, but her 'research' never goes past the books. There is a whole freaking town out there and everyone with different stories and legends about the town's history and she asks NO ONE. Not even Lillian, but we do find the little she does know, because she mentions it of her own accord. Therefore that ended up being a dead end there, a very important one I'm sure.

We also have the boys. Jared, Ash and Rusty. My favorite character in these books is hands down Rusty. I love the guy. I'll be flooding this review towards the end with quotes of Rusty ;) Anyway, Ash was a totally pansy through this whole book. He was just too soft..and gooey, and just too nice to everyone. He doesn't have a backbone to speak of, and that's just sad. Then there is Jared, who has always been a little crazy, and it's obvious why he is acting like he is, but it doesn't make him any less of a jerk, but at least it was understood. And I hated the first half of this book, there was barely any actual interaction between Jared and Kami, and I missed that a lot. But that wasn't even the problem, the problem was their insurmountable insecurities. Which I was getting sick of after a while. Jared does redeem himself towards the end. The last 2 chapters are in his PoV and hell, I totally forgive him for the rest of what he did in the book.

Let's talk about the plot. I'm happy to announce it did not have the second book syndrome problem in regards to the plot. There was moving forward, and there were always plans going on, and there was a big fight at the end, and soo much death. Like I said this book was overall incredibly depressing, but it went with  everything that was happening. It never once felt unreal, you could understand why and where everyone was coming from. That doesn't mean I still don't want to kill Holly, cause I do.

With all that being said, I still liked the book, and I will be following through to it's conclusion, because there is just no way I can abandon them now. I really hope Kami gets smarter and starts asking more pertinent questions and stops being so damn insecure. Looking forward to finding out what else awaits Sorry-in-the-Vale.

Would I Recommend it?




***



Quotes!




"Well," said Kami, "consider out side. Just say no to human sacrifice! Excuse me, I have to go."

"Yes, all right," Kami said, intervening before Lillian could actually expire from annoyance at their feet. "We may be straying off topic."
"The topic isn't my stunning good looks?"
"Devastating thought they undoubtedly are," Kami told him, patting his knee, "no." 
"Shame," said Rusty.

"What are you doing?" Angela complained. "Are you trying to make me jog? You know I think people who jog should be shot at midday."
"Why at midday?" Kami asked absently.
"There's no need to ever get up at dawn," Angela told her. "Not even to shoot joggers. We're going to leave my brother behind, Kami; he is one of life's born saunters."

"Rusty, you idiot," Kami said. "I told you she was an evil sorceress. So you knew all about it and you're not trying to redeem her with your love or anything, are you?" Rusty held his hand out flat and tipped it gently from side to side. "Eh. Honestly that sounds like a lot of effort."

"Maybe," he added, his voice almost too casual, "this revelation will lead you to make the sensible decision, and go for me."
"And wouldn't that be a magical thirty-six hours," Kami said. "Before you died of exhaustion."
Rusty did something unspeakable with his eyebrows. "Why, Cambridge, I am scandalized!" 
"Shut up!" Kami told him. "You know what I meant. Shut up your entire face."

Lillian looked around the room. "where are the others? The Prescott girl and the good-looking one?"
"Baby," said Rusty, "I'm right here."
Lillian gave him a horrified look..

"When you called me and said bring garden shears, I really thought it might be for decapitating purposes," Said Angela. "I truly wish that had been the case."



***



Other books in the Lynburn Legacy Trilogy:

  1. Unspoken
  2. Untold
  3. Unbroken (2014)

1 comment:

  1. What's up to every body, it's my first go to see of this
    webpage; this website consists of amazing and in fact excellent
    information in support of visitors.

    Feel free to visit my web blog; Brooklyn party space

    ReplyDelete

^ Scroll to Top