Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Early Unraveling: The Chaos of Stars by Kiersten White

The Chaos of Stars Kiersten White
Title: The Chaos of Stars
Publication Date: September 10, 2013

Isadora’s family is seriously screwed up.

Of course, as the human daughter of Egyptian gods, that pretty much comes with the territory. She’s also stuck with parents who barely notice her, and a house full of relatives who can’t be bothered to remember her name. After all, they are going to be around forever—and she’s a mere mortal.

Isadora’s sick of living a life where she’s only worthy of a passing glance, and when she has the chance to move to San Diego with her brother, she jumps on it. But Isadora’s quickly finding that a “normal” life comes with plenty of its own epic complications—and that there’s no such thing as a clean break when it comes to family. Much as she wants to leave her past behind, she can’t shake the ominous dreams that foretell destruction for her entire family. When it turns out there may be truth in her nightmares, Isadora has to decide whether she can abandon her divine heritage after all.

  photo B1426D4C-9EEC-4C0B-A1FB-90524B03C0CA-1855-000001A1E82B3B3E_zps17d98f4d.jpg 




***



My Thoughts



First off I'm in love with that cover. It's just so beautiful!! Unfortunately the book wasn't as good as the cover. It suffered the same problem as Kiersten White's Paranormalcy Trilogy, the MC.

I actually really liked the first two books of Paranormalcy but it was during the third one that I noticed how rude and bratty Evie was, and I have the same problem with Isadora. She is incredibly rude to her parents. At first I thought she might be right about her parents not loving her after the tomb issue, and Isadora being so young at the time, I was willing to let it go. My problem is she is not 10 anymore and she completely shut off her parents. If I had been told about the tomb I would have started asking questions later. I mean her dad is the God of the Afterlife for god's sake, there had to be more to it! Which there kind of was but not in the way I was thinking, but that's ok.

I also get she might be having existential issues what with everyone being immortal and her being the only mortal in the household, but again, she should have eventually talked to her mom about it. That's why she is there! Because it's not as if they actually had a horrible relationship, they didn't. It wasn't the best obviously but she could have changed it at anytime but instead chose to be close-minded and bratty and just plain bitchy about the whole thing.

At least she starts changing towards the end so there is some character growth on her part, but it just wasn't enough for me, too little too late. Specially cause the plot was flimsy at best and it only made an actual appearance at the start when it's introduced and the end when it's concluded...The whole book is basically Isadora doing her projects and hanging out with her new friends. I liked all her friends way more than Isadora. The romance was nice and I loved Ry, but I just don't see how he could like her with how rude she always was to him.

In short, this book was basically just a fluff read with some mythology to give it some originality. While it was nice reading about some of the gods, it was all very superficial. White could have done so much with this mythology, if she had just gone more in-depth, but instead I'm left wanting so much more.


Would I Recommend it?


No comments:

Post a Comment

^ Scroll to Top