Wednesday, January 8, 2014

2013 Top Favorites & Stats

Let's start off with my favorite books of 2013! I didn't give all these 5 starts but they were good enough to becomes my favorites. So here they are in no particular order!



Favorite YA Reads of 2013




Cracked by Eliza Crewe



"Meet Meda. She eats people."

I loved Meda! She was such a great character, and she does literally eat people and you know what she has no issues with that, that's just who she is and she makes the best of it.

The banter and comraderie between the characters was great. There was no love triangle and the romance wasn't even centered on the main character either. The whole book was a breath of fresh air.








The Burning Sky by Sherry Thomas





"It all began with a ruined elixir and an accidental bolt of lightning…"


The Burning Sky was just such a great YA fantasy all around. Great world building, great characters, and finally a believeable romance without a love triangle, yay!







Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Saenz



"A lyrical novel about family and friendship from critically acclaimed author Benjamin Alire Sáenz."


This truly was a beautiful book about family, frienship and love. One of my favorite YA LGBT books ever. Can you believe that both character have both sets of parental units?! and they AREN'T dysfunctional?! It was about damn time.







Know Not Why by Hannah Johnson


"Howie gets a job at Artie Kraft's Arts 'N Crafts hoping to score with his lady coworkers. After all, girls love a sensitive guy, and what's more sensitive than dedicating your life to selling yarn and ... stuff?"

This was my favorite book hands down of the whole year. No contest. It was a heartfelt tale of coming of age story filled with such awesome humor that will have you laughing out load through out the whole thing. You'll be crying both tears of joy and sadness. It was just...awesome...





The Avery Shaw Experiment by Kelly Oram


"When Avery Shaw’s heart is shattered by her life-long best friend, she chooses to deal with it the only way she knows how—scientifically."

This was such a cute read! I laughed, I (almost) cried. Both main characters were awesome, and their friends were such a motely crew. The senoir girls weren't the sterotypical mean girls you find so much lately in YA books these days.








Honorable Mentions:





Favorite Adult Reads of 2013


Most of my favorite reads are actually m/m books hehe and tend to go on the dark side of romance, but they were awesome.



Captive Prince by S. U. Pacat


“This was Vere, voluptous and decadent, country of honeyed poison.”


I can not express how much I love this trilogy so far. The last book can't come fast enough. It deals with some very heavy subjects but everything was handled very well in my opinion. Must. Read.









In The Company of Shadows by Sonny and Ais





I adored this whole series but this book, Interludes, in particular was my favorite of the bunch. Also deals with heavy subjects but the whole story was so awesome! Sin & Boyd <3










Disasterology 101 by Taylor V. Donovan




This was such an amazing story. We have a 36 year old man who just divorced his wife and has 3 children and is just now coming out and Cedric who battles with OCD and germs. Watching them both learn to live with each others lives so they can be together was beautiful. 









Mistborn: The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson


"A thousand years ago evil came to the land. A dark lord rules through the aristocratic families and ordinary folk labor as slaves in volcanic ash fields. A troublemaker arrives. A rumored revolt depends on an untrustworthy criminal and a young girl who must master Allomancy, metal magic."


That description doesn't do this book justice. This was such an amazing fantasy book. The way Allomancy works, the characters, and Kelsier's genius plan. Gah!






Friends without Benefits by Penny Reid




"There are three things you need to know about Elizabeth Finney: 1) She suffers from severe sarcastic syndrome, especially when she's unnerved, 2) No one unnerves her like Nico Manganiello, and 3) She knows how to knit."


Ah, Elizabeth and Nico...They are made for each other. Their story was incredibly sweet and filled with humor. I still can't get over that mixed tape/cd Nico made for Elizabeth. *Sigh*






Honorable Mentiones:





2013 Stats!






Heh longest book read 1,427 pages. That series took me around 2 weeks? With the other 3 books being around 1k pages as well. I barely slept some nights lmao. It was totally worth it though! Managed to read 313 books this year compared to the 254 from last year, yay! Looks like my bulk ratings are in the 4 and 3 star range. There were 10 DNFs, I'm sure there were more just didn't bother to mark them down. You can also see my ADD acting up when it comes to finishing series lol. If you check the pie graph for shelves my biggest one is abandoned series xD. I can't help it they just no longer hold my interest. As for the 5 star books, they aren't all actually five stars, most are 4.5 but they are just rounded up. I think that might actually cut them down to half. Hopefully this year I'll find more 5 star worthy books than last year. Tomorrow I'll be sharing the challenges that I finished in 2013 and the ones I have joined for this year. I'm quite excited for all of them :)

Happy Reading everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment

^ Scroll to Top